Beginning of Content
Santa Clara Valley Blind Center was organized in May 1953 as a nonprofit,
public benefit corporation. Two years later, the Beverly-Burbank Lions Club
donated 1.6 acres of land in San Jose for a building. Construction and
furnishing of the building was a cooperative effort of individuals,
organizations, businesses, Santa Clara County trade unions and schools.
Center still stands at its original 101 North Bascom Avenue address and
still looks to the 26 local Lions clubs for volunteer assistance and partial
funding. It was, however, never the intention of these clubs to provide 100%
of the funding or volunteers for the Center, but rather to provide the
facility and some support, making it easier for the programs to be funded by
the community. Today, SCVBC enjoys the support of the cities of San Jose
and Santa Clara, in addition to Federal and State funding.
Over the years, the agency's programs have expanded rapidly as funding has
become available. As a result of individuals' generosity, services
have increased to include strong rehabilitative training and additional recreational
activities. SCVBC works closely in many partnerships to strengthen its
programs, as well as leverage the many positive resources in the community.
Links in this Section
Mission and Vision